Sunday, May 30, 2010

Family Fun Day

Our family has an "Ervin Exchange" (i.e. family council meeting) on the first Sunday of every month.  We've been having them for a little over a year now, and they are so awesome.  We talk about our schedule for the month, the things we have planned, and any issues Ben and I feel like we need to discuss as a family, from behavior to bedtimes to vacations.  We also give the girls and opportunity to bring up anything they'd like to discuss.

At the beginning of May, Olivia asked for us to do more fun things together as a family, and so our monthly "Family Fun Day" was born.  We scheduled it for the 22nd, and decided to spend the morning at the zoo. 

Now, first let me say that it's been a while since we've been to the zoo as a family.  And we just got a family pass for the year, so we're not as familiar with how things work at this one - like the trolley rides vs. train rides, etc.  However, there's a back stretch of the zoo where the animals are spaced far apart because they need more space.  There's also a baby giraffe back there that was born in February that we really, really wanted to see.  We thought maybe we'd ride the trolley back there to save us the walking.  Whatever.  I'm not paying $20 for that, and it would have been something close to it.  So we decided to "hoof" it (pun intended).

On the way back there, we had to pass the Indian rhino.  I'm always surprised at how big these things are!

And before to much farther, Connor decided he had had enough of the stroller.  On went the monkey leash!  (And yes, I used to think they were cruel before I had kids... now I know better.)


As we were walking up to the giraffes, the mama giraffe decided she wanted to eat the grass.  Apparently, she needs to do a split to be able to reach it.  And if you'll look the right side of the picture, there's the baby!  Only 3 months old...

Of course, the giraffes had company in their area.  And I thought my kids sat weird.

Kelsey was so enthralled we couldn't get her to look at the camera!

All she wanted was a better look.

Until Connor and Olivia found the "mister", that is...

And this, my friends, is my favorite picture of the day.  He is SUCH a cutie-pie!

And then it started snowing!  Actually, I guess "cottoning" would be a better term.  This is all from the cottonwood trees, people.  But hey, at least it isn't yellow pollen all over my car!

And of course, when we passed the picture place, the girls needed another shot taken.  Olivia was a big to short for this one.

So she came up with a better idea - she held Connor up.

And finally, no trip to the zoo would be complete without the Zoo Statue Pictures.

I can't wait to see where we go next month!

No comments: