Monday, June 21, 2010

The "Lazy" Days of Summer

I know it's been over three weeks since I wrote a blog post.  I have no excuse, really, except for the fact that it's summer and I haven't been in the mood.  But while I was boycotting blogging for a couple of weeks, life has still been going on and now I have a lot of catching up to do!

We started our summer off with kind of a bang.  Or, rather, I did.  I went to girls camp with the young women from our church.  Every year they ask a different person to be the "camp leader" for our congregation (which we call a "ward").  We share the camp with the 8 or 9 other wards that make up our "stake".  We had 23 girls go to camp from our ward, and there were approximately 120 girls at camp this year.  And for those of you that AREN'T the daughter of a (now-retired) math teacher like I am, that means almost 20% of the girls at camp came from our ward.  Yep.  We had the biggest group there.  But since I am pregnant they were kind to me by letting me sleep in the "quiet cabin", which meant most people were asleep by midnight or so, rather than 3:00 a.m.  Oh, happy day.  And yes, the cabins were air conditioned, so I froze all night instead of melted.  But I'm not complaining.  Nope, not at all.  If I were going to complain about something it would have been that the bathrooms/showers were not air conditioned, which meant trying to adjust your layers of clothing in sticky, sweltering, unseasonably-hot-in-the-upper-90's-and-really-humid temperatures.  But angels don't complain, right?  And we all know I'm one of those.

So what were the natives (i.e. kids and hubby) doing while I was off partying in the wilds with a bunch of adolescent girls?  Ben was working as usual, and the kids spent their days at various party-houses.  At least, I'm pretty sure they thought they were at a party.  Each day a different family, and a different kind of fun.  They had a blast, and we are so grateful for our friends that let them come over while I was out of town!

I was at the camp Tuesday afternoon through Saturday morning, so once I got back the next week was spent in recovery mode.  For me, not the kids.  And very little that didn't have to be done actually got done.

So that was the first two weeks of our summer. What happened next?  Well, I'll blog about that later...

No comments: