Sunday, June 26, 2011

Operation CrazyWoman: Day 7

Sunday, lovely Sunday.

Sunday mornings we always get up and go to church.  Our main service (AKA "Sacrament Meeting") starts at 9am and lasts a little over an hour.  At our church, we don't have a nursery during this time - all families sit together.  The nursery is reserved for Sunday school class time.  Before we left for church we figured out a strategy on how we were going to sit so the big kids could help take care of the little ones.  But like any good battle plan, it's only good until the first arrow strikes home.  Or rather, until the first song is sung.  Actually, we didn't even last that long.  By the time that church started I had Mallie snuggling on my right side, Simon snuggling on my left, and Connor in my lap.  Fortunately our good friend Amy M. was sitting in from of us and took Maddox for me.  For the whole service.  Oh, happy day!

At the beginning of the church service, I truly felt smothered with love.  By the time our hour and 10 minutes were up, I just felt smothered.  I felt like we should have hung a sign at the end of our pew saying, "Sit near us at your own risk."  There was a lot of noise, but at least it wasn't as loud as it could have been.  One of my favorite moments was when Mallie picked up our old cell phone (which is now a toy), flipped it open, and preceded to have a pretend conversation with her mother.  Loudly.  The sad part is that I didn't even notice until she was saying, "Okay, bye Mom!  I love you!"  But I'm pretty sure the family across the aisle had noticed and was having a good chuckle about it.  In fact, I'm always impressed with how tolerant the people sitting around us at church are to the noise coming from my little ones - the ones not old enough to know better.  Probably because they've been here before, too!

After Sacrament Meeting, it was time for the kids to go to their Primary classes and for Connor and Simon to go to the Nursery.  I took Connor and Simon to the nursery, and neither one would stay.  So I took them all with me down to the Primary Room, where I have responsibilities.  I handed off Connor to Olivia and asked her to go find her dad and get him to take Connor to nursery.  Simon stayed on my hip for most of the next hour and a half.  Let me just say I'm grateful that kid isn't too heavy.  However, we finally made it through church today, and back home where my WONDERFUL husband let me have a nap!!

The kids spent most of the afternoon playing quietly in the den with their stuffed animals, writing letters to Grandma Crews, and otherwise just hanging out.  Maddox had a grand time engaging in his new favorite hobby: Dishwasher Stalking.  As soon as that dishwasher comes open, he's over there before I get one dish in, and then he starts grabbing anything he can reach - especially if it's dirty.



When we were at the store the other day Wesley asked me to buy him a can of chicken and dumplings because he loves dumplings.  So for dinner tonight, we had soup and sandwiches and I made homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade noodles (or dumplings, depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you're from).  All Wesley really wanted were the dumplings, so I drained his broth and put his dumplings and chicken on the plate.  Then he proceeded to ONLY eat the dumplings off his plate.  That funny boy.  After some consideration, he did eat one bite of chicken so he could have some dessert with us.  Fortunately, the extra chicken did not go to waste, and Trixie was very happy tonight.

Wesley's plate after he ate dinner.

Trixie's evening snack.

While we were sitting around enjoying our dessert, the kids started doing imitations from the original Kung Fu Panda movie where Po is getting acupuncture and Mantis accidentally tweaks his facial nerve.  The original looks like this:

The kids' imitations looked like this:



 
Goofballs.

Since I don't have a picture of Simon making a crazy nerve-face, I figured I'd stick in a couple of him smiling tonight at dinner with dessert all over his face.

 In this picture you can see the little scratch he got on his forehead.  I saw it last night, but I have absolutely no idea how it came to be there.  All I can say is that it must not have hurt much because he didn't cry when it happened!

Last night when we had our evening talks, Nan asked if we could make more things.  Since I'm not crazy enough to bring out paint or anything that can stain with lots of little children around, I suggested that we make friendship bracelets.  So tonight after dinner I got out my old container of cross stitch thread and I taught them how it was done.

They achieved varying levels of success, but they all enjoyed making the bracelets/anklets.

What surprised me the most was Kelsey's focus and ability.  She really picked it up on how to do it quickly and kept wanting to make more.  I was afraid she'd be a little too young, but I guess that just shows I should always give them the chance to try!

And the finished products! (Some of them, anyway.)

No comments: