Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Candid Cook: My New Addiction

Honestly, I should have take a better "after" picture.  But they didn't really last long enough.  I can't help myself.  I seriously eat the entire sweet potato all by my lonesome every time I make these.  Not that I'm complaining...

None of my family members will touch a sweet potato except me.  Maddox and Connor used to, but the others are a bad influence.

So, what are these babies?  Sweet potato chips, of course!

I realized that I had a slicer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer, so I got a lot more slices out of my sweet potato this time than I did last time I made them and sliced them by hand.  The original blogger who talked about these used her Mandolin.  I don't know what that is, but I think I want one.

Speaking of kitchen gadgets, our vegetable peeler has been MIA for a week or so.  This is a tragedy because Connor loves to eat peeled, whole cucumbers. So this morning when I was making a quick trip to TJ Maxx I picked a nice one up at a discount.  It's the first time I've owned a high-quality peeler, and I have only one thing to say: 

"Where have you been all my life?!"

It was like slicing through warm butter... Wow.  I will never go back.  Even if the old one turns up.  That one will go in the camping crate for an emergency backup.

So anyway.  On to the food.  There really isn't much of a recipe for this one, I must admit.  I didn't follow the original recipe for seasoning.  I just used this yummy stuff that my sister-in-law, Julie, introduced me to when she made popcorn at my house.

So basically, you slice your sweet potatoes really, really thin.  If you don't have a mandolin, it might look like this when you're done.

That's okay.  It'll work.

The part you can't leave out is the parchment paper you put under the slices when cooking.  If you are doing them in the microwave, it's even more important or they don't get crispy (or so I've heard).  My turn-table is too small to cook enough at one time, so I opted for the oven method today.

Put a single layer of sweet potato slices on the parchment paper.  Spray them with cooking spray or use your kitchen spritzer and olive oil.  Sprinkle with the yumminess called Jane's Crazy Mixed-up Salt.  As you can see, my first tray looked really pretty and neat.

My second tray I got impatient and dumped the rest of my "shavings" onto the paper.  They were still tasty, just not quite as crispy.

Bake at 425 until crispy.  How long will depend on how thick your slices are.  These took about 12-15 minutes.  

Want to try cooking it in the microwave?  I think those came out crispier and better.  Here's the original recipe link so you can see how she did it:

You'll see some prettier pictures, too.
I can't wait till tomorrow's lunch when I can eat some more.

No comments: