Friday, May 15, 2009

What Do You Feed Your Babies?

If you grew up in my family, you grew up knowing the story of the Wide Mouth Frog, courtesy of my darling mother. For those of you who don't know, this is a story about a mama wide mouth frog who didn't know what to feed her babies. So she went around asking other animals in the area, like so: "Mrs. Cow, what do you feed your babies?" Of course, the line must be pronounced opening your mouth as wide as you possibly can, and therefore little children (and big ones for that matter) love the story.

So on to the point of this post. Ever since Connor really started feeding himself I feel like I have been struggling with this very thing: what do I feed my baby? I refused to buy the baby "convenience food" at the grocey store like I did for my other 2 kids. For one thing, they're expensive. For another, I am part of a produce co-op, and have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies already around the house. I'm a good cook - surely I can do something with this food, right? So as I was making one of my favorite Spinach Ball recipes this afternoon, I realized that I am not the only mom in the world that has asked this question. And even if I was, it would be great to have a place for all my favorite recipes to be stored on the web in case my house ever burns down. Or if I have another baby and forget what I did with this one. Or if I'm out of town and want to make a favorite meal. Or any other number of possibilities. So I have decided to start another blog that IS all about food. I love to cook, and I also love to cook healthy for my family. However, I also recognize that kids are going to love the foods they are going to love: mac & cheese, french fries, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs. Although I can't make hot dogs, I can make the other things, and I figure my whole-wheat pasta made into stovetop mac & cheese has got to be better than a box of Kraft. Don't get me wrong - convenience food has it's place. But when I have the time and the inclination, I can do better than that. So, for any of you who may be interested, come visit my "other" blog at http://whatdoyoufeedyourbaby.blogspot.com/.

No comments: