Wednesday, December 30, 2009

No More Leaks

We started with this:

Note the towel to catch the leaks that have been there since we renovated, and the crazy extra P-trap on the right that is apparently just there for decoration.

What were the builders smoking?

In the process of fixing the leaks we - okay, I - messed up the silicone coating this crazy looking joint that cobbled together the PVC pipe that is the drain for the HVAC air exchange and the extra P-trap (that dipped part on the right).  Hence, what was originally a leak turned into a rivulet of water every time we drained the sink.

Problem.

So I took some pictures, went to Home Depot (because it's apparently much easier for women to keep their ego intact while asking for help at a home improvement store than it is for men), and the employee and I came up with a plan.

And by gum, it worked:

With the help of a little plumber's putty, of course.

And just in case you're wondering... this was my first plumbing job.

P.S.  In the interest of full disclosure, it is important to note that the man of the house (Ben) did his part on this job.  He worked on it all day on Tuesday, and yet it still leaked.  When I took a stab at it on Tuesday evening, I made it worse.  So it became my problem to fix, apparently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you solved this problem. I seriously believe that it's not the big things in life that send a person over the edge but the continuing series of little things.