Friday, August 10, 2012

Don't Blink!

Wow... where has my summer gone?!  I feel like it's been one big blur, and I barely did any blogging along the way!

Honestly, the only way I even know what we did is by looking at pictures, and I wasn't taking too many of those.  I do have a few I want to share.  These Play-Doh creations were from one day in June.  I think the girls are getting better, don't you?

This one is my favorite!
(The girls have informed me that Olivia's friend, Abbigael, is the creator of this piece of art!)

Despite the multiple colors being used, the girls are really good about not mixing up the colors when they take it apart.   Connor is not so good, so he's only allowed to use one color at a time.


We have also discovered a new FANTASTIC pizza crust recipe.  It's so good, in fact, that I can no longer stand cheap pizza like CiCi's or Little Caesars.  I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing this crust is, but here's a few pics to get you drooling.

We have cheese...

 ...pepperoni...

...and veggie.

 Hungry yet?  I know I am!

Anyhow, I got the recipe and instructions from this link to Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake, and there are extensive instructions for how to handle the dough.  I am convinced this "dough handling" is the KEY that makes this great, because the recipe isn't that much different from others I have tried.

You'll just have to check out her website for the instructions, because they are too long for me to re-type here tonight.  I mean, seriously.  Do you have any idea what TIME it is?!  However, I will tell you two important things:

1) The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp of yeast and an 18-hour rise time.

2) Since that will never happen at my house, I generally make the dough about 3-5 hours before dinner and increase the yeast to about 3/4 tsp or 1 tsp, depending on how close it is to dinner time.  The more yeast you add, the faster it rises.

Maybe I'll post my instructions and pictures another day.  When it isn't 100+ degrees outside and I can turn my oven on in the afternoon without sweltering.

In other news, we sold Ben's truck and bought this nifty little Chevy Malibu from someone we knew who was moving and couldn't take it with them.  I'm happy to have a second car that can fit most of the family, but Ben's just glad to have air conditioning in his vehicle again!


For the 4th of July my sister Gwen and her husband Richard came up to play with us.  Olivia had the chance to be in Edmond's Liberty Fest Parade with the Girl Scouts, so Gwen and I dropped her off and then found a place to watch with Kelsey and Connor.  

They were really excited while we waited.


I haven't been to an Independence Day Parade in years and I will admit I got rather misty-eyed when the Boy Scouts came by with their giant American Flag.

Olivia was close behind with the Girl Scouts. 

We were near the end of the parade route, so she was really hot by the time she got around to us, can't you tell?

I think Connor liked the parade, but it was a little loud...
 And though I won't bore you with a bunch of parade pictures, here's a couple I had to take for the family.

Purple slug bug!

 Mounted police on horses for the girls.

The Car That Ben Would Love To Have

No comments: