Monday, July 26, 2010

Mystery Melon

Sometime in April or May, I planted a garden.  Kind of.  I never really finished doing all I wanted to do with it, but I do have a number of plants out there growing.  Mostly, I'm excited about the tomatoes since you just can't buy good tomatoes in the store.  Good tomatoes only come from gardens.  However, I also started a bunch of other seeds and planted them as well - cantaloupe, seedless watermelon, green beans, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes.  The problem is, the day I planted the little sprouted seedlings in the garden, I didn't have a gate up.  So of course some dumb rabbit ate most of my plants, much to my dismay.  However, a few did make it - two of the tomato plants, a green bean plant, and some sort of melon.  I thought it was the cantaloupe, but I couldn't remember exactly what I had planted there.  Then I planted a few more seeds (cucumber and carrot) and I've been getting some goodies out of my garden over the past few weeks.

Well, this cantaloupe plant started growing a few melons.  The bigger they got, the less they looked like cantaloupe.  But they didn't really look like watermelon either, and I didn't use a pollinizer like you're supposed to when planting seedless watermelon, so how could it have been the watermelon?  And they didn't get any BIGGER than a large cantaloupe, so surely it was the cantaloupe, right?

Finally I just couldn't take it anymore.  I picked one of those bad boys for closer inspection.


After both girls got to pose with it (and Connor tried unsuccessfully to lift it), I pulled out the knife and cut it open.  What do you think we saw?  Red, of course!

And apparently, if you DON'T use a pollinizer when you plant seedless watermelons, you get small seeded watermelons.  Who knew?

No comments: