Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Out With the Old, In With the New

A couple of month ago a large, metal paperclip found it's way into our garbage disposal.  Connor put it in the sink and I inadvertently rinsed it down the drain.  Boo.  It clunked around in there for a few days, and then I forgot about it.  Till our disposal started making funny noises last week.  And then it died on Friday.

*SIGH*

Since Ben had to work Saturday (again), the task fell to me to figure out how to switch out that baby.  Before I went to Home Depot, I took a picture of the old one so I'd know what to buy.  (Pay no attention to the mess under the sink.  It's a mirage.)

Once I got to Home Depot and started looking, I decided to upgrade us to the next "horsepower" model.  I mean, really.  We have a large family and I cook a lot.  It was worth the extra $30, hands down.  After watching a 5-minute You Tube video, I was ready to begin installation.  I (eventually) found the switch that turned off the power to the garbage disposal and got to work.  Two extra trips to the hardware store later (I needed a slightly longer PVC pipe to reattach it to the drain), we had it hooked up, leak-proof, and ready to go!  Isn't it beautiful?

I've never messed with electricity before.  It's oddly exhilarating...

2 comments:

Terri said...

And the "mirage" disappeared in your "after" pic, too. :)Great job, Anita!

Olive said...

I'm proud of you; you're quite a "handygirl."