Monday, December 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Fudge & Peppermint Spoons

I made some Christmas treats yesterday with the girls.  I had to make some refreshments for the cantata, and I was trying out a new fudge recipe from Our Best Bites and really wanted to do a peanut butter variety.  So, I modified the recipe and halved it (just in case is turned out badly).  Lucky for me it was a success!  It is awesome, so of course I had to share.  The recipe uses a candy thermometer, so I bought one just for the occasion.  If you don't own one, they are worth the investment of $3.50 - trust me.  It took a lot of the guesswork out of making candy.

Also, while we were waiting for the fudge to set we made some dark chocolate mint hot cocoa stirrers for gifting.  I bought the flavored candy melts at Hobby Lobby the other day, and we just melted them down, dipped the spoons in, and set them on parchment paper.  Then we sprinkled them with crushed candy canes and left them alone to set.   They looked so good after I wrapped them last night I was compelled to take a picture.  I'm inordinately proud of myself - they almost make me look crafty.

And now... on to the fudge recipe!


Anita's Peanut Butter Fudge

8 oz. white almond bark (4 squares)
1/4 c. butter
2/3 c. crunchy peanut butter
3/4 c. evaporated milk
2 cups granulated sugar
1 heaping cup of mini-marshmallows


In a glass or metal mixing bowl, place almond bark, butter, and peanut butter.  I used the bowl from my stand mixer.

In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and marshmallows.  Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture reaches about 225 to 240 degrees.  Be careful near the end, because it will scald really easily.  Just make sure you are stirring constantly and you don't have the heat up too high.  If it browns a little, it's not a big deal, just lower the heat and make sure it doesn't burn.

Once it has reached the proper temperature, pour the mix and sugar mixture into the bowl on top of the other ingredients.  Beat with a mixer or stand mixer until thoroughly combined.  The heat from the milk mixture will melt the ingredients in the bowl, so just make sure you've got everything melted before stopping.  It's probably a good idea to scrape the bowl at least once before you're done, too.

The heat from the milk mixture will melt the ingredients in the bowl, so just make sure you've got everything melted before stopping.  It's probably a good idea to scrape the bowl at least once before you're done, too.  When it's ready it should look something like this.

Pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan lined with foil.  For good measure, I sprayed my foil with non-stick cooking spray, too. 

Let it set then cut into small 1-inch squares.  Store in the fridge.

I think I've gained 5 pounds just thinking about this fudge, so be sure to give it away fast!

No comments: