Monday, December 19, 2011

The Things We Do for Money

I really want my kids to know the joy of gift-giving.  And when they pick out a present for their sibling and Ben and I pay for it, I feel like that robs them of some of the experience.  So for the past couple of years, Ben and I have told the girls that they need to buy or make their own Christmas presents to give people.  However, since my kids aren't really old enough to earn money outside the home, we have provided some opportunities for them to earn money AT home.

Let's take Kelsey, for example.  She cleaned my big picture windows inside and out, and spent quite a while happily scrubbing the stove.  She really loved doing the cleaning knowing that she was earning money to buy presents for Christmas.  Some other things the girls did for me - babysitting (Olivia), folding and putting away their brothers' laundry (both), and extra work with the dishes and in the kitchen (Olivia).


This really is the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments: