Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The First Day: How It Went

Yesterday was Kelsey's first day of full-day Kindergarten. This means it was her first day eating lunch at school. I must stay I was filled with trepidation at the thought of my picky eater being consigned to cafeteria food. However, the menu said "pepperoni pizza wedge" and Kelsey really wanted to eat school lunch, so I agreed.

The first sign of trouble was when I was in the cafeteria before school dropping off lunch money to go into Kelsey's account. I found out the menu had been changed. To what? Oh, cheese quesadillas. Not bad, Kelsey likes those at home. She'll be fine. What I didn't count on was the fact that they would be using school cheese in those quesadillas. Apparently the cheese blend they use melts into 2 distinctive colors unlike the cheese blend we use at home. Kelsey thought they were macaroni and cheese quesadillas and wouldn't even try a bite! So for lunch, she had some of her orange and her chocolate milk. Poor little darlin'. I also noticed Kelsey's backpack was still very full and very heavy when we got home. She had never turned in her school supplies.

Otherwise Kelsey had a great day! She got to meet the principal and some other teachers at the school, and was shown around the place. She told me the principal had "grandma hair but not grandma skin". I guess this is supposed to mean that she has white hair but doesn't look very old.

As for Olivia, her day went well! For both girls it's a new school and both of their teachers have Smart Boards in their classroom, which are the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's like a giant touch-screen for their computer on steroids. Totally awesome. Olivia's glad this will be the last time she has to switch schools any time soon, and so am I.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like they had a great day! What school do they go to? When is moving day? I have boxes for you and they're good ones! Diaper & Wipes boxes! : )

*Jess* said...

Kelsey is brave! Jaina tried school lunch one time and that was the end of that! I pack her lunch now :)