Thursday, November 1, 2012

AOG 2012

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.  It turns around what we have into enough, and more.  It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend."
~Melody Beattie

I was reminded today by a friend of my "Attitude of Gratitude" posts from a few of years ago.  I went back and looked at them and realized (first of all) that my kids have grown - A LOT.  Second of all, I remember having a great holiday season that fall.  Thanksgiving meant more.  Christmas was sweeter.  And my heart was more focused on the things that really mattered.

Jayne, you've inspired me to begin again this year.  I'm going to ask the kids' for their input, too, but tonight they are all in bed and it's just going to have to be me.  I'm also going to make an effort to include pictures daily as well.

Today I am grateful for...
...laughter.

Sometimes I feel like I am beating my head against a wall and getting no where - with my kids, with my health, with my ability to manage our home.  And then there are days when it doesn't matter quite so much.  The difference?  It's the laughter.  When my kids make me laugh, I love them more.  It's true, but I'm not quite sure why.  Laughter heals so much, lifts so much, and lingers like a warm memory in your heart.

I feel like I have laughed more frequently the past few days, and I am grateful for it.  This little man in his Halloween costume gave me several opportunities for mirth.  And not just because he looks so cute (though he does).  And not just because he wouldn't stand still long enough for a good picture (which he wouldn't).

He was such a good trick-or-treater last night.  
It was his first time going, and he was fiercely independent.  
I was not allowed to carry his bag or hold his hand.  
He would march up to the door, push his way through the older kids and get in front.  
Then he would hold his bag open and say "tee tee", which I'm pretty sure meant "trick or treat".  
Surprisingly, he didn't try to eat his candy right away.  
He didn't even take off his crayon hat until the very end when he wanted the pirate hat instead.

And speaking of pirates... and phantoms and punk rockers and "spaghetti"... here's the whole crew before we hit up the neighbors for their candy.

The funniest moment of the night?
Connor put Maddox's crayon hat on his head.
He bent forward at the waist and wiggled his head around.
Then he said, 
"Look, Mom!  I drawing!"

Laughter.
I love it.

No comments: