Friday, April 3, 2009

Finis

Today is the big day (Kelsey's party) and I actually finished Kelsey's pinata on time! I started by blowing up 2 balloons, tying them together, and taping plastic wrap around them. When I finished the first layer of paper mache, I remember thinking it looked like nothing more than a giant gray peanut..


By Thursday morning when I did the second layer, I hadn't changed my opinion.





But by yesterday afternoon, my second layer had dried and I was ready to start decorating. (I didn't want to make it too hard for the kids to break, so I only did 2 layers of paper mache.) To fix the peanut problem, I taped a strip of folded newspaper around the middle and then covered the whole thing with green tissue paper for my "palate". Then I printed out and glued on the pictures of Tink and Peter Pan I wanted. Finally, I folded and cut some colored tissue paper and started gluing them on, ONE AT A TIME!

I will admit, there were times I thought I must have been insane to attempt it. There were times I thought it was going to look like a luau skirt, or worse yet - Cousin It in an Easter costume. But it was all worth it when Kelsey got home from school and said "Wow, Mommy! I love my pinata!" That's what makes us cheap moms keeping going back and doing the same thing over and over again... And the cutting and gluing didn't even take as long as I thought it would. Shocker. And hey, I needed to use up that bottle of glue anyway. I think it was from Olivia's 1st or 2nd grade year of school... And here is the finished result.

TA DA!!

(And yes, I did remember to poke hole to thread the rope through to hang it!)

6 comments:

Jack and Erika said...

I love the pinata! Props to you!

Amberdawn said...

Very, very good. It's adorable!

*Jess* said...

wow, you are crafty!

Stephanie said...

Great job!

Connie said...

Love the pinata!

scchesleys said...

Great job pinata girl!