Monday, April 27, 2009

Vicks VapoRub


As a child, I had terrible memories of Vicks VapoRub. I can remember my mom rubbing under my nose when I was sick, and having to sleep with that strong, strong smell all night long. I never thought that as a mom I would cross over to the "dark side". However, I am a fan. But I do not put it under my children's noses - or mine for that matter. I do not rub it on our chests, even. So, where do I put it?
I put it on the soles of our feet.
I heard it first from my neighbor. Then from the pharmacist. Apparently, it has something to do with the aromatherapy sensors or something in your feet. At the time I was having a hard time sleeping because I had a little cold or allergies or something that would only make me cough at night. I put on the Vicks, put on some socks, and went to sleep. I was amazed - it had worked! And as an added bonus, my feet were super soft in the morning...
Then Connor got a cold. You cannot give a baby anything for congestion anymore - and a baby who can't breathe through his nose is in big trouble at nursing time. So I rubbed it on his feet twice a day - in the morning when I got him dressed and at night when I got him in his jammies. I can't believe how well this stuff works!
Which brings me to this morning. Connor's nose was running all day yesterday and this morning. After I had wiped his nose for the 3rd time this morning, I remembered - it's time to pull out the Vicks. So here we are, about an hour later, and his nose is no longer drippy. I am such a fan of this stuff! I'm even starting to like the smell...
Anyone else have a miracle cure?

5 comments:

Amberdawn said...

I LOVE the smell of vicks. I always forget to put it on our feet when we are sick. I need a new brain.

Jayne said...

Believe it or not, this actually brings back good memories of my mother gently rubbing this on our chests and then putting our night clothes on. Although I don't particularly like the smell, since I associate it with a good memory of a loving mother, it doesn't bother me. Now that you've told us about the other benefits, I'm going to have to check it out at Wal-Mart today.

SCNONI said...

My mother practically bathed us in the stuff (and now you can actually find bath stuff for the babies that has the same smell). She would rub in on our chests, under our nose and put a little on her finger and make us swallow it. It didn't kill us and breathing better is a very good thing.

*Jess* said...

I had just recently heard the foot thing! I bought some, but Jayce's congestion got better before I could try it! I heard it worked for coughing, too!

Unknown said...

I'd heard that but never tried it...I will now!!!