Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Homeschooling!

With all our gratitude posts this month it seems like I haven't been taking the time I need to keep you guys all updated on some big things in our lives - like our decision to homeschool Olivia. The biggest response I get when I tell people that we were going to start teaching Olivia at home is, "What happened?"

Although there were things that were going on with Olivia in school that we weren't thrilled about, there really hasn't been any big incident that resulted in our decision to homeschool. Although we felt like Olivia wasn't "thriving" at her new school - both academically and socially - it actually came about as really somewhat of a surprise to me when we started leaning in this direction. I didn't expect to make this decision again so soon. We did this for part of second grade in South Carolina before moving to Oklahoma and it was stressful, to say the least. However - as Ben pointed out - I was also working from home at the time and pregnant. This time around things are a bit easier. To say the least.

It was important to us to make the decision to homeschool independent of anything else that might or might not have been going on at school. We wanted to homeschool because of the merits of homeschooling, not to escape some "evil public school system". We also feel that this is the best place for Olivia right now, and she agrees. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Amberdawn said...

Good luck! I'm sure it will be lots easier this time around since you're not working now! I think it sounds so fun!